So this past weekend on the farm tour everyone was raving about the apple cake that Allyson made for the dessert. We got this recipe out of a cookbook we picked up at the Tamarack travel center in Beckley WV. The book was titled Appalachian Home Cooking and is one of my favorites. This recipe is very easy and always rewarding.
- 3 – 4 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (depending on size and juiciness, you will want to use 3, otherwise the middle takes too long to cook)
- 1 cup butter, softened,
- 2 cups sugar,
- 3 large eggs,
- 1-2 tsp vanilla,
- 2.5 cups flour,
- 1 tsp baking powder,
- 1 /2 tsp baking soda,
- 1 / 2 tsp salt
- Top: brown sugar/ cinnamon to liking
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour a 13” by 9” pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer. When well mixed, mix in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. STIR this into the butter mixture (no mixer).
4. Using a spatula (or hands – my preference because it can difficult to get the apples mixed in well with a spatula) fold in the apples until well mixed.
5. Scrape batter into pan and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar to liking.
Bake approximately 45 minutes, or until top is brown and toothpick can be removed clean from the center.